Monday, February 6, 2012

"I Bless The Rains Down in Africa" (I always thought it was "felt the rains")

Here's something I found quite surprising in South Africa.  "Africa" from Toto is HUGE here!  I would have thought they would have found it a little pretentious or "White-man's burden".  (Let's be honest, there are fewer Whiter bands than Toto.  Maybe Air Supply or Loverboy.)  However, they use it in commercials, beginnings of shows and even as the hold music for the Protea Brands of Hotels.  It's insane.  In fact, once you mention the song, and maybe sing some of the words, it becomes one of the longest lasting earworms ever.  Ranks up there with The Proclaimers "500 Miles" or "Hey Mickey".  I like the song, but it does get a bit wearisome to keep hearing it.  Especially when they try to cram 20 syllables into a single song phrase.  ("As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus from the Serengeti.")  The reason I started off on this song is, this is what runs through your head when you travel by road in South Africa.  I'm not the only one to say this.  Many others I've spoken to here have said the same thing.

Last week we drove to a resort at the base of the Drakensberg Mountains.  The drive took us from Gautang Province (pronounced How-tang), through Free State and into Kwa-Zulu Natal.  This route takes you past very high hills, grasslands, farms and into a lovely area near Cathedral Peak.  (The entire time, "I bless the rains down in Africa.")  The area we stayed in was the battleground for two separate wars in South Africa.  The Zulu War and the Boer War.  The battle that was the basis for the movie "Zulu" was not far from our hotel.  Winston Churchill was captured about 30 minutes away during the Boer War.  As a history buff, this was awesome.  ("Hurry boy she's waiting there for you....")

Anyways, the kids seemed to have fun, and Lovely Little Girl was on her best behavior. The mountain air seemed to do her some good.  Crazy Little Man, on the other hand, was Crazy.  He yelled, told me I was naughty, hit his sister and his father, and generally acted like he constantly needed a nap.  Not always, but enough to make me think that the baboons that lived across the way might do a better job of raising him.  The area we were in had monkeys, the aforementioned baboons, birds of all colors and shapes, a stoat and a porcupine that crossed the road in front of us one night.  (When I told Crazy Little Man about the porcupine, he asked, "A very deserving porcupine?"  Yes, yes it was.*)  One of the houses next to us left their door open and 4 monkeys got in and stole bananas.  A bit stereotypical, but still funny.  The Sacred Ibis came up to our dinner table and looked at us quizzically.  Very cool though.  The morning we left, I packed the cars up to the sounds of baboons growling at me. 

I got to play golf, which was lovely.  Even made par on one of the holes.  (Ok, it was a par 3, but it was the 4th hardest hole on the course, and it was difficult, so leave me alone.)  I was a little worried when there were signs warning of puff adders in the fairway, but never saw any. 

We found lovely restaurants to eat in, and a bakery that served fantastic scones and had a playground for the kids.  I also found that while Johannesburg loves the music of the 1990s, KZN is still firmly entrenched in the 1980s.  The Toto song of course, but also Air Supply, "She Blinded me with Science", and even "Come on Eileen."  It was awesome.  Not all the food was great.  Lovely English Lass did eat a Spinach and Feta pie that was horrid, but choked it down because she didn't want to disappoint her parents who were with us.  We also ate bacon, or what was labeled as bacon, that probably was from wild game. 

Everyone felt a little sick once in a while, and the entire area seemed to roll up the sidewalks after dark.  The only musical entertainment in the area seemed to be The Drakensberg Boys Choir.  So, it was a little boring in the evenings, which meant everyone went to bed early.  Which was good because Lovely Little Girl was usually up at 5 or 530, talking and singing at the top of her lungs.

We did some cool stuff, though.  We went to Spioen Kop Nature Reserve which cost R20 per person (roughly 3 bucks a pop).  Inside a giraffe walked along followed by it's baby.  About 5 zebras crowded the road and looked at us strangely while we photographed them.  (Is it a herd of zebra?)  We saw Impala and Spring Boks and Black Wildebeests.  (I do a great Wildebeest.  Ask my friend Gee.  Always makes her laugh.)  We had gorgeous views (and photos will follow, I promise) and saw just how beautiful this place really is.  (Again, "I bless the rains down in Africa."  Seriously, the entire 3 hours we were in there that song was on a loop.)

We also saw some funny stuff as well.  Every time we went into this little shopping area, which was a lot due to the grocery store being there, a group of little boys would line up in two straight lines and start doing a stomp routine.  It was pretty funny, but also pretty cool.  We gave them some money for their enthusiasm.

Our return trip was back through the gorgeous areas of KZN and Free State.  I knew I was back in Johannesburg when I got cut off by and Audi and was almost hit by a Honda Civic with two toddlers in the back seat with no seat belts.  It was good to be back home, but it was also nice to see new areas.  Maybe one day soon we'll go back.  And yes I'll be singing Toto in my head the entire time.  "Hurry Boy it's waiting there for you...."

*It's from Harold and the Purple Crayon.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing time. I look forward to your photos. I believe I will now add Kwa-Zulu Natal to my travel bucket list, a place entrenched in the 80s, bliss. Thanks for the Harold and the Purple crayon reference, my name may have been on the check out card the most at SC Elementary!

    ReplyDelete