Friday, March 16, 2012

24 hours of Charity and Work

I love my wife.

Seriously, how can you not love a woman that allows you, within one 24 hour period, to go play in a poker tournament and then play golf all day whilest taking care of our two children (one of whom is ill)?  However that is exactly what happened the 14th and 15th.  Let me explain how this happened, and the events of the day.

On the 14th I had a quick dinner with the family and headed off to the Country Club Johannesburg.  Nice place, gorgeous golf course, and a lovely setting for a Texas Hold-em tournament to benefit Autism South Africa.  Lovely English Lass volunteers there, and this was a major benefit for them.  I in no way believed I was Doyle Brunson, but I thought I'd do ok.  Playing in the game was a handful of guys that played professionally, and did tend to run roughshod over the table where I was sitting.  I didn't win, but I stayed at the table for 2 hours, outlasted one of the pros and also beat three other guys to finish 4th at my table.  A respectable showing I think.

The next morning I went to work and then came back home to change into golf clothing.  I was going to play golf and it was a business thing.  The course we played at is called Copperleaf, and it was designed by Ernie Els.  (As an aside, Mr. Els is a supporter of Autism charities, as he has a child who was diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum.)  The only problem?  It rained the entire day.  Not a downpour, but a steady drizzle that soaks you to the bone.  Although I loved playing on the course (a links course with not a lot of water but numerous ways to spend time in the sand, which I did) the day was very draining.  Still, lovely place, lovely company, and got a decent amount of business done while on the links.

It's been a very busy couple of days, and I'm glad it's the weekend.  Now it'll be LEL's turn to go out and have some fun by herself.  Hopefully she'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment