Monday, April 30, 2012

My crazy spur of the moment idea that'll help autism awareness

This past Saturday, after having breakfast with my wife and kids at one of our favorite breakfast places in Johannesburg, JBs on the Corner, we walked through an area known as Melrose Arch, and I peeked my head into the bicycle shop down the road.

It was a very nice shop, stocked with everything a bicyclist could want.  The gent behind the cash register was a very nice South African, and came right up to ask if he could be of service.  (Which surprised me, because Customer Service isn't exactly preached here in SA.)  Without a thought, I asked about the Johannesburg 94.7 cycle challenge that takes place in November.  94.7 km through the streets of Johannesburg.  (All 5600 feet above sea-level Johannesburg.)  He explained I needed to register online, and that I should (with a bit of training) do fine since his boss did it last year on a fixed gear bicycle tricked out to look like a chopper.

When I got home, I immediately went to the computer and registered for the race. November 15, I will be on my bicycle for at least 3 hours, and probably closer to 4 or 5.  They will give me a tracking dot so that people can keep track of where I am and how I'm doing.  In short, it'll be pretty darn cool.

However, how did I come to this point?  What makes me think that I, John Benton (Jay) Parker can finish a bike ride of almost 60 miles?  Riding a mountain bike?  Through the hills of Johannesburg almost a mile into the air?  Did I lose sense of myself?  Was I high from the delightful Bacon Sandwich I had for breakfast?  Am I really that desperate for time away from my kids?

The answers, in the order I gave above, are: I'd been thinking about it a while; I've ridden my bicycle a decent amount; if a dude on a glorified BMX bike tricked out can do it, why can't I on a Mountain bike; yes, it'll be thin air; no, not really; the sandwich was VERY good; No, I love spending time with my kids, but I think doing this is a good way to help my kids and others, as well as myself.

Lovely English Lass stated that to make sure I do this, I should try to raise money for a charity.  That would make it so that I push myself to get on with the training, and don't backslide.  It was a very good idea, and something that I've decided to do.  I'm going to ride for Autism South Africa, because they really need the funds to continue to do the good work for Autism Awareness.  LEL volunteers there, and they are a good group of people who see what Autism is about and want to help those who need it the most.  If I can raise at least some money for them, it'll all be worth it.

I'm also doing this for my kids.  I want them to see their big old father get on a bicycle and do something that takes tremendous amount of courage and self-discipline.  If I, a fat 36 year old man, can get through this, they can do anything they want to.

Lastly, I'm doing this for myself.  I look in the mirror and see someone that needs a change.  I need to make sure I'm around to see my kids grow up.  I need to exercise, but haven't been able to motivate myself in the last year to do so.  Diabetes runs in my family, as does heart disease.  I want to make sure I won't have to deal with those.  So if it means I get up at 430 every morning to get to the gym, sit on an exercise bike to build my stamina, and then lift weights to make sure I'm strong enough for the ride, that's what I'll do.  I used to ride my bike to and from work when I lived in Luxembourg, and always enjoyed it.  Maybe I can make this my new thing: training to ride in long distance bike races.  If I can do it, I know I'll consider myself a winner.  I'll have helped children with Autism here in South Africa, and I may have extended my life just a little while longer.  That seems like a fair trade.  Watch this space if you want to donate, as I'll come up with info before the time.

So, 94.7 km in November... Like it or not, I'm going to have to be ready.  Wish me luck.

2 comments: