Not something I would have thought about when I first arrived here. South Africa music scene? The only South African music I'd heard back in the States was off Paul Simon's "Graceland" and of course Dave Matthew, who was born here. But an organic music scene? Didn't seem possible.
However, that's certainly changed in my mind. There are a TON of South African musicians that deserve to be heard worldwide. The music ranges from almost Industrial Dance music to Country to Afrikaans Rap. It's hopping right now, and something other places need to take notice.
The impetus for this blog is the upcoming "Joburg Day" sponsored by one of the local radio stations. They put South African musicians on in a large concert festival. It's huge. I know tons of people that want to go but can't because the tickets are taken. Over 30,000 people will come out. Let me tell you about some of the bands, and check them out. You might actually like them.
Elvis Blue learned to play guitar by watching youtube videos. He started busking on the streets of Johannesburg, and started collaborating with other South African artists. He then won the South African Idols show, and recorded some pretty darn good music. He even set up a music academy to help under-privileged children. He's also pretty cool when he does interviews.
I've spoken of Goldfish previously, but they are doing some great things with dance music. They hardly ever perform, so this would be a treat. However, give their latest album a listen, as I think you'll like it.
Locnville is a group made up of twin brothers, Andrew and Brian Chaplin. (Their grandfather was the first cousin of Charlie.) They make electronic music, and have become pretty big in Europe. They started their own record company to ensure that they got the profits, not some label. (As they put it, "We did the work.") They're favorites here, and should be a good set.
When I first heard Blackbyrd's "I feel good today" I seriously thought it was an American Country band. (At first I thought it might be Lady Antebellum, but was mistaken. Since I usually don't listen to Country music, I think I can be forgiven.) Turns out that Blackbyrd are in fact a trio of South African women who love country music. Not too bad, and I really like "I feel good today."
The biggest name this year is probably The Parlotones. They have a song, "Stand Like Giants", where they are asking for a choir to join them on stage and perform. Pretty cool, I got to admit. The Parlotones decided earlier this year that they were moving, en masse, to Los Angeles. Kind of like the Monkees, actually. However, to show their appreciation, they had a going away party that was open to everyone. they then got on a truck and played through the streets of Johannesburg. Pretty cool, actually. Give them a listen, you might like them. (Personally I think they're trying to be like Muse, but I mean that in a good way.)
Anyways, there's a lot going on here. I didn't even mention Jack Parrow, an Afrikaans rapper, or Die Antwoord, an Afrikaans industrial rap group that just courts controversy. (Seriously, they're so strange that they were asked by Lady Gaga to open for them, and instead of only saying no, they made a music video mocking her.) Kongos I've spoken about, and still dig "Hey I don't Know". Plus, they've got a drummer who's a singer. Nice.
Seriously, give some of these groups a listen. You might find something you like.
No comments:
Post a Comment