Wednesday, October 16, 2013

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"

Lloyd Bridges was awesome in "Airplane!", wasn't he?

Well, this week (and the one before it, and the one before that) haven't been great, have they?  Especially not for US Government workers.  I tell you, it's stressful to say the least.

Combine a government shut down with a looming debt default, and then add on top of that bidding for a new job, and it's amazing that I haven't had a coronary or stroke. 

As I've said before, being a Management Officer is no picnic.  Hey, I could have done other things with my life, I know.  So please spare me the discussion of how I "Feed at the Government Trough" and "Need to get a real job."  (These are actual comments I've seen on Facebook and in newspapers.)  Yes, I chose to become a public employee. Basically for three main reasons:  1) I love to travel and wanted to experience all this world has to offer;  2) I get to serve my country and help my fellow citizens; and 3) Generally speaking, working for the government is considered a pretty safe job to have (compared to others in the economy, I mean).

Look, I'm still working and getting paid because the State Department is able to use funds over multiple fiscal years, and did a decent job of predicting that this would happen and was ready.  However, that won't last long, and many of the other agencies that work in an Embassy don't have that luxury.  Their employees are still working with no idea when their next paycheck will arrive.  That's not really cool, you know.  Plus, when they get their backpay, it'll come in one lump sum, which means more taxes will be taken out.

Oh, and I haven't even gotten into the other things I've had to deal with.  There was a workshop planned for Johannesburg at the end of the month.  Well, that's cancelled.  So tomorrow I have to go and try to make amends with a hotel so that we don't have to expend money on an event that isn't happening.  (And try to make sure we still have access to his hotel, as we'll need it if a major event does happen and we suddenly get a lot of visitors.)

Plus I'm the face of the furlough for many of the local staff members.  I'm the Management officer, so I get vented to about their difficulties and listening to questions about why my government is so disfunctional.  I don't have any answers for them.  I just know that a lot of them live hand to mouth, so this hurts.  People all over the US are hurting because of this.  Why punish the people who want to work and do their job?  Isn't that what people have been banging on about?  People should be paid for doing their job.  I just don't get it.

Anyways, back to Lloyd Bridges comment in the title.  Seriously, I sometimes feel like it would have just been better to not feel anything about all of this and not think about how it'll hurt.  But I can't do that.  Too much empathy I suppose.  It's a gift and a curse.  But it does make me want to sniff glue sometimes. (Disclaimer: I do not, and have never, sniffed glue.  Just say no kids!)

No comments:

Post a Comment