From the stories of what happened, Pearl Jam was asked to close the show. They'd played "Rockin" at their MTv Unplugged show the year before, and thought it would be make a great closer. Apparently they asked Young to play with them, and while they heard yes, they weren't sure he was coming until he walked in and plugged in.
Now the song is a great song, and an indictment of the then George H.W. Bush administration. (It implicitly references President Bush 41's call for "a thousand points of light" and a "kindler gentler nation.") It also talks about the issues of the ozone layer and taking care of the environment. So, it was a head of its time. Still, even if you take away the political message, this song definitely has a huge amount of rock to it. The opening lick alone is enough to get the adrenaline going, and the guitar solo in the middle is fantastic.
Well then, let's talk about the actual performance.
Pearl Jam and Neil Young remain pretty darn close to this day. He pops up on occasion to perform with them, they recorded an album together, 1995's Mirror Ball, and Eddie inducted Neil Young into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. I think Young's activism may have rubbed off, as shortly after this, Pearl Jam took on Ticketmaster, which was a stupid move to do when you're the biggest band in the world. But they did. They came out the other side, and have celebrated playing together for more than 20 years. I've never seen Pearl Jam in concert, but I have friends that have seen them numerous times. (I did buy one of the bootleg CDs they sold of their concerts off their website back in the early 2000s. It was in Washington, DC, a show in which a couple of my friends went to see.) Still, when I think of this song, it takes me back to 1993. I was young, and had no idea what I was headed into. Do me a favor: go home, dig out your baggy shorts or jeans, put on a flannel, and pump this song loud. It'll definitely put you in the right sort of mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment