Friday, February 21, 2014

MILB: Diss Tracks

The Diss track has long been associated with Rap music.  Someone feels disrespected, and so they cut a track to let out their frustrations.  However, this is not solely the province of Rap or R&B.  There have been some great rock diss tracks (Or at least lines of a tack) that are just classic.  Music is supposed to give you a reaction, good or bad.  A good diss track can completely disarm someone, and render anything else they have to say useless.  Now, here are my top 5 diss tracks:

5) "South Bronx" by Boogie Down Productions - KRS-One rips into MC Shan and other for what he perceived to be their claim that hip hop was created in Queens instead of in the South Bronx in his song "The Bridge".  In fact, coupled with "The Bridge is Over" this song pretty much killed MC Shan's career.  It's simplistic, but makes the point that KRS-One was not going to have anyone doubt where hip hop was created.
Best Line: "Party People in the Place to be, KRS-One attack/You got dropped off MCA because the rhymes you wrote was WHACK!"

4) "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd - Fantastic song, usually accompanied by "Roll Tide Roll" during the chorus, and beloved by Alabamans everywhere.  This song was written pretty much in response to Neil Young's "Southern Men".  It's a rocking song, that everyone sings to, even in a bar in Istanbul as I found out one night.  It's very popular, but it is a diss song.  I can probably count how many times I've heard "Southern Men" on the radio, but can't fathom how many times I've heard this song.  Heck, I've even done it in Karaoke.
Best Line: "Well I heard Mr. Young Sing about her/ Well I heard ole Neil put her down/Well, I hope Neil Young will remember/ Southern Men don't need him around anyhow."

3) "Dre Day" by Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg -  Dr. Dre left Ruthless Records and NWA to form Death Row Records with Suge Knight.  One of the big hits off his first solo album, "The Chronic" was "Dre Day".  (The full title is something else, and I won't write it.)  Anyways, during this musical diss masterpiece, Dre takes a shot at Eazy E, Jerry Heller (head of Ruthless Records) and Luther "Luke" Campbell.  The video is interesting, to say the least, and really adds to the mockery.  This is a no-holds barred song that just destroys each of these guys.  Luke never really recovered on a national scale.  Eazy E died a few years later, and Dr. Dre is now a Rap empressario.
Best Line: "Used to be my homie, used to be my ace/Now I want to slap the taste out ya mouth"

2) "How do you Sleep?" by John Lennon - Probably one of the most vicious attacks on a former friend in rock music history.  The breakup of The Beatles was very much like a divorce.  The fact that George Harrison plays on the track is significant, because Paul was the one that brought him into the band in the first place.  During the recording, apparently Ringo stopped in and was extremely upset about the song.  The lyrics attack Paul, and his music and how he only had one song that John thought was any good.  It's extremely visceral and yet also still a great song.  John definitely had hurt feelings about a track on Paul's album titled "Too Many People."  John later felt so bad about it he said it was not just aimed at Paul, but also himself.
Best Line: "The Only Thing You Done was Yesterday/And since you've gone you're just another day."

1) "Hit 'em Up" by 2Pac  - This song has it all: An attack on an entire record company; a claim of sleeping with another man's wife; claiming that a former friend is biting your style of rapping and clothes; a somewhat out of nowhere attack on a rapper and mentioning a life-threatening disease he has; a catchy beat with the "take money" insert; and accusation that Notorious B.I.G knew who shot him 5 times; and finally a finale that actually sounds as if 2Pac is going to come through your speakers and kill you and everyone you know and love.  Seriously, this is everything you want in a track if you want to hurt someone's soul.  There is nothing on here that would remotely make you think he was every going to quash any type of beef he had with BIG, or Bad Boy Records for that matter.  
Best Line: "Biggie remember when I used to let you sleep on the couch/ and beg the (expletive) to let you sleep in the house/ now it's all about Versace, you copied my style/ 5 shots couldn't drop me I took it and smiled."

No comments:

Post a Comment