I'm still in the midst of Spanish classes, but I needed a break so I thought I'd write a quick blog post.
Last year, we took a trip to the UK to visit LELs family. One of the movies on the plane was "The Boat That Rocked", or as it was known in the US, "Pirate Radio". I really liked the movie, and Philip Seymour Hoffman was awesome in it. In the movie, there is a wedding scene with one of the main characters whose bride was named Elenore. They sang this song for the happy couple. I really liked it a lot, and so I bout it.
The Turtles are best known in the US for their big hit, "Happy Together" which might be the best song from a stalkers point of view ever, with the exception of course of The Police's "Every Breath you Take". Still, a good band from the 1960s and this is a great song.
Basically, this song is about a guy telling his girlfriend, Elenorewhat he likes about her. It is both sweet and a little shocking at the same time. For example, the chorus is "Elenore, gee I think you're swell, and you really do me well." The mixture of the sweet and possibly profane in the same sentence is well done. How many times are you going to hear the word gee in a song? I also love the next line too, which is, "You're my pride and joy, ecetera." Not many groups would be brave enough to put ecetera in a song. But they do.
The music has a sound that definitely harks back to the 1960s, and has a great piano and background singing. I kind of feel like they're part of a group of bands like The Kinks and Small Faces, that made British music.
Probably my favorite part is right before the last huge chorus, someone in the back yells, "One more time!" It fits awesomely with it, and makes me want to hear the whole thing again, and to be honest I probably do listen to it at least twice in a row. It just makes me happy, and I'm su you'll like it too.
No comments:
Post a Comment