For those of you that don't know me, I am somewhat of a ham. I love to perform, and even being the MC of quiz night is a chance for me to go out and make it something special. Instead of just coming in and reading questions, I make it an event. Can't help it. I've always pictured myself with entrance music when I walk into a building, and wanted one day to be somewhat famous enough to warrant a piece written about me in Rolling Stone, or to appear on "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" in the UK. Sadly, that TV show isn't on any more, and I doubt Rolling Stone will be knocking on my door any time soon.
But I do have two dreams that I still foster. One of them is to perform my one-man show that I've had bubbling along forever. Entitled, "Anxiety and Low Self-Esteem" it's basically me talking about what I went through growing up with both anxiety and low self-esteem, and how I've overcome a lot of it. But with humor you know? It's in the same vein of Dave Gorman's "Googlewhack Adventure" and if you haven't seen it you should be ashamed of yourself and do so right now! I'll wait.... Anyways, he inspired me and I think I'd be pretty good at discussing how my life was shaped by anxiety, and the feeling of low self-esteem I fought against pretty much right up until my 28th birthday. (I'm much better now, thanks, but still struggle.) I can picture the entire thing in my head and how it would go. There would even be a break in the middle where everyone gets up and dances for about 2 minutes before sitting back down to continue the show. As you can see, there's been some thought put into this.
The other dream I have isn't quite so random. I'd like to write a screenplay. "The Diplomat" being the title I've chosen, but can be talked into a different one. I've been working on the screenplay, but just haven't been able to move through, since I really don't know a thing about screenwriting. I mean, how long is a shooting script usually? Is a longer one better, or is it just going to get cut? Knowing I have zero chances probably of ever seeing my work on the screen, I still think it would be cool to do, you know? Just to point and say, I took a chance once outside of my area of expertise, and even though it didn't work out I tried.
However, I'm not really the writer in my family. Lovely English Lass is an amazing writer. And an amazing photographer. And an amazing cook. And an amazing mother and motivator. And an amazing partner in my life. So while I have these two dreams, in reality my life is better than the dreams. I'll still work on them, but to be honest, I probably won't be too upset if I don't finish them. Besides, life with LEL, Crazy Little Man and Lovely Little Girl is far better than any rush I could get by performing. Besides, they'd probably help keep me grounded if I got to big for my britches. I mean, when I call home, the usual response from the kids is, "Hi daddy, what did you buy me?" Can't argue with that, can I?
No comments:
Post a Comment