One of the most cherished things given to people working overseas is, depending on the post you are at, you get an R&R. We didn't get one in Luxembourg, and I didn't get one in London, but we get two here in Johannesburg. (It's because of the crime and other issues. I won't go into it, but if you want more info email me and I'll sort it out for you.)
Anyways, since we've been here a year, it's time for us to head out on our R&R. So to the UK we head. London to Blackpool to Sheffield to Gateshead to Edinburgh to Devon to Bath to Cornwall to London. It's going to be AWESOME. Crazy Little Man has never been to the UK outside of the womb, and we haven't been back to visit friends and family there since early 2009. So, it'll be an adventure. Or disaster. It's about 50/50 right now. I'll keep you informed.
One of the things you don't want, though, is to get sick while on R&R. You want to be able to enjoy it. The best thing is to get sick right before you go or right after you get home. Since the weather here has been crazy, it looks like we're going to do the before. And probably the after as well.
Since Lovely English Lass is on the clock, and hasn't worked long enough to earn sick or annual leave, I had to work from home a bit last week to take care of CLM as he was ill. Temp kept at a low grade, but was persistent. Then on Thursday LEL got ill as well. The Doctor at the Consulate sent her home, saying she needed some rest. Friday she was doing a bit better and went into work in the afternoon as I worked from home again. Then, I started to feel bad as well. So Sunday and into Monday I got the sickness.
We're just waiting to see if Lovely Little Girl comes down with it as well. The problem with her is she doesn't get down and sad like CLM. She gets hyper. She'll never admit to being sick, and is ADAMENT that she's fine. Meanwhile she'll have a temp and a runny nose and will obviously need to be in bed. Hopefully it's passed her by and she'll be fine.
So Friday night we have to go to the airport for our 8 pm flight to London. Hopefully the kids will sleep and we'll get a full nights rest out of them. When we get there we have about a 3 1/2 hour drive ahead of us, so no rest for the wicked. But we will have a great time, and I'm certainly looking forward to it. England has just always felt right to me. And it's time for the kids to see the other side of where they are from.
I am a Foreign Service Officer working for the Department of State. My Anglo-American Wife (Lovely English Lass in my posts) puts up with me, for which I appreciate her even more. My daughter (Lovely Little Girl) is on the Autism Spectrum and is taller than your average child. My son (Crazy Little Man) has some developmental delays and is, as his name suggests, crazy. My posts are not a reflection of, nor should be construed, as official positions of the US Department of State.
I do hope that you will all be better by the time you get on that plane. Have a wonderful holiday.... and please make sure that LEL has a bit of spare cash to spend on herself. A girl HAS to go shopping when on holiday!! :-)
ReplyDelete