Tomorrow is the election. I've already voted, and hopefully my absentee ballot will get to there in time. I want my vote to count. Voting is a civic duty, and it is an absolute scandal that most of the US doesn't take the time to vote.
To be honest, I'm kind of glad that I am not in the US for election season. I live in either Virginia, where the airwaves are saturated with commercials, or Florida, where the airwaves are saturated with commercials. I'd rather watch the Eastern Motors commercials than anything to do with campaigns.
Since 2000, when I left to go overseas, I've only been in country once for an election. 2004. (Interesting note, I went to have rhinoplasty surgery the day of the inauguration. Came home and my friends Court and Bear, who were in DC for the inauguration, watched me suffer through not being able to breathe.) Every other election I've watched it from the comfort of another country.
In 2000, I was in Suriname, sitting down with the Vice President of Suriname explaining the ins and outs of the electoral college, and how the great part is that usually there is no ambiguity. We know who wins right away. Oops. Yeah, that was a fun breakfast to be at.
In 2004, before I came home in August, I got to speak at a girls school in London. I spoke about the differences in the US and UK elections, and got a very good response to my speech. (I also almost hit the headmistress in the head with a piece of candy and had a lovely discussion about why I once drove 2 hours to Philly for a cheesesteak. They asked if I could have gotten one in DC, and the short answer is "No." Long answer is no as well.)
In 2008 I was in Luxembourg with my little family, and expecting Crazy Little Man in March. We were also preparing to go to Bolivia, but that didn't work out. I didn't do anything special except wait for the election results to come in, and then find out if our Ambassador would be staying the entire time or not. (She did.)
So, once again I'm out of the country during the Presidential election. I have followed it extensively from South Africa. We'll have a breakfast on Wednesday for people to come and watch the results, talk to everyone about what this means, and then go back to work.
That's what most people don't understand about the Foreign Service. It doesn't matter who is in charge, we have a job to do and we do it. I mean, some people resign because they can't serve under certain administrations. (And not just Democratic ones, either. Contrary to popular belief, there are a LOT of politically conservative people that work in the Department of State. The three largest groups of people in the Department are former military, Mormons and former Peace Corps. Now, two of those are known to be very conservative. Just saying.)
Well, that's my discussion. If you're wondering whom I voted for, let me tell you: Nunya Business. Besides, I don't politicize that sort of thing. Just vote, ok?
No comments:
Post a Comment