Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hyperbole

This election season brought out the hyperbole from everyone.  I've watched it on my Facebook page, I've seen it in the comments section of blogs and newspaper articles I read online.

Seriously people, I'm glad everyone got involved in the election, and that everyone is passionate about the direction they think the country is headed.  But let me just say something: Chill.

Really, everyone needs to just calm down.  Those people saying they fear for the future of our country: Why?  What exactly do you fear?  Those that are saying they can't be friends with either a Democrat or a Republican: Why?  What exactly is a reason not to be friends with someone?  I've heard of people un-friending people on Facebook because of the election.  That's insane!  Just because you don't agree with someones political bent doesn't mean you can't be friends with them.  But I hear it all over, on both sides of the political spectrum.

Maybe that's part of the problem, people.  Maybe we all have such a narrow view of the world that we can't seem to understand why others would believe something else.  That you have to surround yourself with like-minded people to reinforce your world view means that maybe you're just a TINY bit afraid to see what else is out there for fear that what you think is wrong.

Life is a learning experience.  We don't walk along life without learning something new every day.  How boring would it be if we never tested the boarders of our beliefs, and instead constantly hid from seeing that maybe what we believed isn't totally black and white, but really a shade of grey.

But let's cut the hyperbole out of our conversations.  Obama is no more a Socialist than Ronald Reagan was.  (I've lived in Socialist countries, and believe me: What he's pitching ain't Socialism.  Until he starts paying women to go to the Doctor for their pre-natal check-ups, and paying for daycare for working moms, and giving lunch vouchers to every worker, then it isn't even close to Socialism.)  The Republicans aren't Nazis.  (No one is a Nazi, unless they are actual Nazis.  Calling someone you don't agree with a Nazi is a cop-out and an easy way to lose an argument.)

Oh, and one more thing.  If you can't be friends with a Democrat and you're a friend of mine, then I'm sorry that you'll be un-friending me.  I'll miss you, and would still be your friend.  Also, I may be a registered Democrat, but I also vote for the person I believe will do the best.  There have been Republicans I've agreed with on things, and would have voted for if I could.  (Bill Weld from Massachusetts or John Heinz from Pennsylvania are but two.)

Heck, if I un-friended all Republicans I'd lose almost my entire family and lots of my oldest and best friends.

Please, let's just try to work together.  And remember the old saying in the Southern US: If you want to remain friends, never discuss Politics, Religion, or College Football.  That's something I think we can all agree on, don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment