Well, here we go again....
I am now roughly half-way through my term here in Johannesburg. (Saturday, February 2 we will have been here for 18 months.) You know what that means, right? Yep, time to start looking for a new job.
Technically bidding doesn't start until around August, but I'm a bit different. You see, Lovely Little Girl was given a Class 2 clearance which means there are some places in the world where she can't live due to them not being able to meet her needs.
Let me explain. Wait, that will take too long. Let me summarize. MED gives out clearances for serving overseas. Class 1 means you can serve anywhere. Class 2 means there are some restrictions. Class 5 means you can't serve outside of the US.
Anyways, due to my daughter's clearance, I have to do a bit more homework than the usual Foreign Service Officer. While people with kids usually research schools, I have to find a school that will take her, make sure she has her therapies available, and that her needs are met before I can even CONSIDER bidding on that job. Hence me starting earlier than most to see if I can get all of the stars to align so I can serve there.
There are options where I can serve in a place without my wife and kids (like Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Algeria, etc.). While I think those people serving unaccompanied tours are brave and deserve the highest respect, I don't think I want to do it. One of the reasons is because one of my daughter's doctors told me that it might irretrievably harm my relationship with her. While my career is important, it ain't that important.
Anyways, we'll be in Washington, DC in early March so my kids can have some tests done on them. (Reevaluation is what it's called.) While there, I have a few days when I can run into Main State (Foggy Bottom or the Actual State Department if you will) and talk to people about jobs coming open next summer. Someone I asked for a meeting with reminded me that it is VERY early days to be talking about jobs. But it's the only chance I have, and as I explained to him, I need to start early because of my daughter.
Oh, just to let everyone know, I won't be talking about where we're bidding. Every time I tell someone we have a good chance to go somewhere, it never happens. So, I'm going to keep it between me and Lovely English Lass, and if I didn't tell her she'd get angry with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment