Thursday, May 9, 2013

MILB - "Unsquare Dance" by Dave Brubeck Quartet

How do you follow up a masterpiece like "Time Out"?  Well, you release another album called "Time Further Out" that further explored complex time signatures.

"Time Further Out" was structured so that the songs went in order for their time signatures.  "Raggy Waltz" was of course in 3/4 time, "Charles Matthew Hallelujah" in 4/4, etc.  "Unsquare Dance" is in 7/4.

This song is 2 minutes of just goodness.  Mostly handclaps, a bass, and snare-drum rim, this song moves along nicely.  There is a great part for the piano, but the song definitely moves on the bass and handclaps.  This song always puts me into mind an early 1960s heist film.  You'd expect to hear it while guys in nice suits and hats walk down a street, being added to by other members of the gang, before splitting off to head to their positions prior to the job.  Of course, with Brubeck the musicianship is awesome.  Sadly no sax, but you don't miss it.  Joe Morello does more on the rim of his snare than most drummers due otherwise.  I mean, listen to this movement!

Eugene Wright is also outstanding.  His bass keeps it moving, and in 7/4 time no less.  This is a difficult one to do with handclaps being on alternate beats and the snare rim going in syncopated beats.  I'd get lost but Wright hits it correctly.

One of the funniest parts of this is the ending where Brubeck plays a snippet of "Turkey in the Straw" and ends it with "Shave and a Haircut... Two Bits."  Not really expecting it, which with the laughter of who I think was Morello at the end, they probably weren't either.

This song was featured on Wednesday for the 93rd Birthday of Saul Bass, and fit in perfectly.  In fact, I think I want this played behind me when I'm walking in Main State back in Washington.  I think it'd fit perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment