Thursday, June 13, 2013

MILB: "Pyramid Song" by Radiohead

Thom Yorke is one of the most underrated frontmen in recent history.  He doesn't really get credit for his emotional performances because Radiohead are constantly evolving.  (Try listening to Pablo Honey, then compare it to Ok Computer and then listen to Kid A.  Hard to believe these are the same guys really, and those albums were released within a 10 year period.

Anyways, "Pyramid Song" is one of the most haunting songs you'll ever hear in pop music.  The lyrics are a thing unto themselves, but the music really puts the mood.  It's a very sombre song, and very evocative of an intense dream.

"I jumped into the river and what did I see?/Black-eyed angels swam with me./ A room full of stars and astral cars/ All the things I used to see./  All my lovers were there with me/ all my past and futures/ And we all went to heaven in a little row boat/ there was nothing to fear nothing to doubt."

How trippy is that?  That's the entire song right there, repeated once.  It really blows you away when hearing it, especially with the music moving behind it, with crescendos and decrescendos accentuating the power of the words.

Don't take my word for it.  Thom Yorke said it's one of the best things they've ever recorded.  I've heard the acoustic version rocks, but haven't been able to find it.  Hope I will one day.

Give it a listen, on a rainy day, and it'll make you think you're in a C.S. Lewis book.

No comments:

Post a Comment