I know, they annoy me most times too, but recently I've decided that there is a good thing to having hipsters around being ironic. Because of their ironic detachment, they've allowed me at least some good things. Here are a few for you.
1) Their ironic wearing of logo t-shirts. Because of hipsters, I can go outside now wearing my Batman t-shirts and not feel out of place at all. I love that. I can walk around wearing my Captain America shield t-shirt and people just think I'm being ironic.
2) They've made being a nerd ok. You can be a nerd, interested in things that normally would make you an outsider, and turned it around. Reading comic books is ok, as is keeping a blog. (From "Phineas and Ferb": "Yeah, I blog about blogs I read, and blogs I don't like and other blogs as well.")
3) They listen to music ironically that I actually like from back in the day. Great example of this happened on Saturday. LEL went to TopShop here to look around. While inside, the music playing was obviously meant to be ironic, but I loved it. "Ice Ice Baby" came on. Now, Vanilla Ice gets a lot of stick, deservedly, for his body of work. However, remember back to when that song actually came out. It was the joint. One of the radio stations played ABCs "The Look of Love" which is yet another great song. I can also like Death Cab for Cutie and be ok with it. And listen to Billy Joel.
4) Coffee Joints. What can I say? I like coffee joints. They don't have Starbucks here, but they do have some great coffee spots, which we can thank hipsters for continuing to frequent.
5) The ability to look bored. Sometimes you just don't want to look interested because you aren't. If you're wearing a Batman t-shirt and look bored, people just think you're a hipster and it's ok. I like that.
Anyways, there's my praise for hipsters. I know they can be a pain (especially the guys from Fun.) but they've made it ok for a man in his mid-thirties to not look like a total moron, and for that I thank them.
No comments:
Post a Comment