I know I usually write about songs I like, and can actually talk about them for a bit and sound somewhat coherent. However, lately there have been a bevy of songs that came out that I loathe, so I thought I'd put those out there as well.
First on my list is "Let Her Go" by Passenger. This song is HUGE in South Africa right now, but it appears even the SAFRs have gotten sick of it too. From the endless tautologies presented, to the stupid catchiness of the music which continues playing in your head even after you turn it off, the song just continues like the worst ear-worm. Perhaps the most annoying part is something that the local radio station has picked up on. The very end has the longest pause in a record ever. They've started putting in adverts and jokes during the middle of the break. It's just a waste of a song, and it makes me glad that she left him.
Next on my list is anything in the last 10 months from Train. Now, I have to admit I really liked "Drops of Jupiter" back in the day, but some of their new songs are just, gah! "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" is obviously a rip from Paul Simon's brilliant "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover", but is a bit creepy. The song is basically a guy talking to the woman breaking up with him and telling her that when his friends ask he's going to just say she's dead. HOW MESSED UP IS THAT?!? I've been broken up with A LOT, and I never ever thought about telling people that my ex was dead. Then comes their new song here, "Mermaid". You name dropping Johnny Depp and the Puget Sound in the same song just drops it to a new level of low.
Of course the one that really offends me lately is Avril Lavigne's "Here's to never growing up." You can tell that her marriage to schlock-meister Chad Kroeger has influenced her new sound. It's catchy without meaning anything at all, just like a song from Nickelback. The chorus starts with, "Singing Radiohead at the top of our lungs, with a boom box blaring as we're falling in love." Really? What Radiohead song are you singing at the top of your lungs while falling in love? "Street Spirit (Fade Out)"? "Creep"? "Paranoid Android"? "Karma Police"? Or perhaps something from Kid A or Amnesiac? I mean, Radiohead are known for numerous things, but anthemic sing alongs aren't one of them. Somewhere right now, Thom Yorke is writing a sad song about how Avril Lavigne is using him to sell records. And you know what? It'll STILL be better than this song. It's a mindless singalong song that doesn't mean anything, and probably doesn't do anything but piss off Deryck Webley, the lead singer of Sum 41 and her ex-husband. Avril once sang "Fuel" for the Metallica tribute show, and used to consider herself kind of a punk. Not anymore. She's fully in the Taylor Swift era now. (As evidenced by the fact that I originally thought this song was by Swift.)
Well, there you have it. The first ever, "MILB: Songs I Loathe" blog. There will be more in the future I'm sure. Hope you liked it. If you think I'm wrong and that these songs are great, leave it in the comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment