As I've said previously, sometimes it is difficult to be a Management Officer and not be angry and resentful of your co-workers. Most people I work with are very nice and lovely people. And then there are some that treat me like the help.
You see, Management officers of all stripes walk a tight-rope. We are not only a service provider, but also a co-worker. Many times people can't see the difference. And hey, I get it! It's hard to be angry at someone because they've refused your travel or told you something you want to do can't be done, and then act like nothing is wrong when you see them at a party later on. It's human nature to carry that professional anger into your personal life. It's ruined friendships, and caused many of scene at an Embassy event.
(I have Management friends worldwide that don't go to Mission events because of how often they will be cornered with issues someone has with their house or with not getting something they've requested. I don't recommend that... but I understand!)
The way I see it is that you have two ways you can go as a Management Officer. 1) You shrug off the professional issues and keep as separate a line as you can with your professional and private lives, or 2) You become bitter and angry and resent people for what they do.
Trust me when I say that number 2 is sadly the easiest to do. How dare they come into your office and tell you that they can do your job better? You've busted your butt trying to get their housing right, their office correct, and help them the best you can with limited resources, but they come in and act like you're just in from orientation classes. Everyone appears to be an expert on your job, and they think it's so easy to do! They never see you answering phone calls at 2 am from someone complaining that their toilet is clogged (even though they have 3 other bathrooms in the house) or having to come into the office on Saturday and Sunday to ensure that the end of year procurements have gone through.
The problem with that one is you quickly start to hate everything. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, etc. etc. etc. To paraphrase another movie, It's not personal, it's just business. Management officers must learn to section off their private life from professional, or else you need to find something else to do.
I'm writing this because I was on the verge of number 2 recently. I was grumpy, and not being very helpful. Thankfully I have a lovely wife that let me know I was being a pill, and I took a good look at myself and thought I needed a change. Working out more has helped as well, I gotta say. Still, it's hard to walk that tight-rope. I'm just glad I have a net for when I fall off so I can get back up there again.
No comments:
Post a Comment