Well, Bidding season is still upon us. As you may have noticed, I haven't given out where we're headed yet. That's because I still don't know.
You see, while I still think my job is great, the way we change jobs kind of sucks. It's not transparent at all, and it can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. It definitely becomes more of a who you know type of thing. If you focus on lobbying for a job that you aren't going to get because of internal politics, you've basically screwed yourself. That's exactly what happened to me this time.
I bid on a position in a place that had a lot of bidders. However, I started early, got my name known at post, and also got to the bureau where this position was to let them know I wanted the job. My boss called into the DCM to let him know I'd be perfect for the job. I had an interview that went very well, and figured I was a shoo-in for the position. The school accepted Lovely Little Girl, which is the big problem usually, so everything was lining up.
I did go after one other position as well with the same force, but it was London and I didn't think I'd get it. Turns out I was at least on their list. This post I'd spent a lot of time and energy on came back and I hadn't even made their top 3. Amazing. Especially when I found out that someone from the bureau back in Washington had gotten the job. If I'd known they were bidding I wouldn't have worried and focused on somewhere else. But since I didn't, by the time I found most of the jobs were taken.
So now I'm looking at the wreckage of my bid list, and trying to find a place overseas that will take LLG and now me as well. It's all very bad for the self-esteem, you know. I could go back to DC, but I joined the service to serve overseas. I've done two tours in DC, and that's enough for now, Thankyouverymuch!
See, if I was single, or even just married, this would be easy. I'd go to Afghanistan for a year with Lovely English Lass, and we'd then go someplace nice afterwards. Now, I have a responsibility to my family as well to make sure they are taken care of too.
Sorry to dump this on you guys. It's just frustrating. I took a vacation last week, and still couldn't shake this. I know something will come along, but it definitely hurts when you do a great job, but it's still not good enough. I'll just keep looking, I suppose. Not like I have any choice, right?
Sorry to read this. As exciting as it can be to travel the world in your position, it must be extremely trying to be in a state of limbo, not knowing where you are going next. Fingers crossed for you all that you get notification soon. Looking forward to seeing you when the Boss hits town! x
ReplyDelete