This is the third release off their album, Repent, Replenish, Repeat. Usually third releases off an album from an independant record company don't do much, which is a shame because there is good music out there. This song comes at you from the gut. "You Will See Me" is both empowering and a little creepy too. However, that's what good music can do for you. It can cause different reactions to the same piece of music.
Scoobius Pip has an insane flow in this song. His words hit like a half-crazed beat poet. I imagine Allen Ginsberg might actually like this. The lyrics, as per usual for Pip, start off straight to the point:
"You are my new inspiration/ my muse/ and I mean that not as a compliment."
Whoa. That's heavy stuff to use even before the beat kicks in, isn't it? However, we've all been there before, right? A boyfriend or girlfriend, a teacher or boss, a parent or someone else, that makes you feel less than you are. You use that feeling to get ahead. You may forget the plaudits, but you'll NEVER forget the put downs. It's there, inside, driving you to do more. Then there's more to come:
"I will take negativity and make it inspire me/ I was not a book from a Library/
As I stand here alone I declare I was not a loan/ to be picked up and dropped off
at a later date/
And you barely even made my own spine bend/ just skimmed through some of the interesting bits
and skipped to the end/"
That's some heavy symbolism there, right? You can totally get how it feels, and exactly the way some people have treated you in the past. I know from my past experience that I work as hard as I do because of the naysayers that I've encountered along the way. I know that Lovely English Lass and I use the "no" that we've received from schools and teachers about Lovely Little Girl to push us harder.
The next bit of the song gets even better:
"The Notes you left in my margins turned from scribbles to scars/
But here's the best part: You didn't even realise you were reading the first draft of a best seller/
The manuscript of a future Nobel Prize winner/ The Book you discarded as a pamphlet will ignite shit."
Are you still with me? This is heavy people. This is someone forming the strength inside after something terrible. It's a rightous rage. It's saying that the rejection you've gotten won't break you, but take you higher. This should be printed on one of those motivational posters!
"I will not shout you from the rooftops/ I will tap your name out in morse code on my outer thigh/
As I casually accept plaudits from on high/ I will not try to win you back/ I do not want you back."
This is a man that is hurting on the inside but will use the hurt to bring himself higher than he thought possible. Sometimes, when bad things happen, this thought is the only thing to get you through the day. I'm taking all these rejections for jobs as a sign that there is something better for me, and it's just waiting for me to come and get it. I can definitely feel his thoughts. If I ever make it to be a DCM or an Ambassador or whatever, I know part of the reason will be because of the shabby treatment I got from my first DCM and Management officer. These are things that drive everyone. Relationships at work or private. Any girl that broke up with me just made me stronger. It hurt like hell at the time, but it did in fact lead me to the love of my life and mother of my children. So the negative sometimes makes you more focused. I didn't meet LEL until I'd stopped trying to be everything to everyone and became just me. Perfect, as they say.
The second half of the song does get very dark. Discussions of destroying everything they hold dear, and about taking over the world just to break it. To be honest, these are the flip side of the reactions to the above. You can either use the negativity to lift yourself up, or just go nuts. Sometimes it's a fine line, and you need to make sure that you don't slip over it.
I've said a lot about Scroobius Pip's lyrics, which are brilliant, but I have to add that Dan Le Sac once again just knocks it out of the park with the music. It's brilliant and dark and adds so much to a song. Sometimes you have music that just fits perfectly with the theme of the song. The Stones were very good at this, with "Paint it Black" and "Gimme Shelter" being two of the best. Dan Le Sac takes this track, which would have been a brilliant spoken word album, and transforms it into something deeper. It adds a menace to the song, and the unease puts you into the mind of the speaker. For a minute you feel the anger and dispair, and how you too will rise above and better yourself further than anyone who's put you down. For the run time of this song, you want to make a point that you're better than the expectations of others.
The video is dark and mind-blowing. I won't spoil it, but go watch it. (A little NSFW because of language.) Then realize this is the exact same message as Katy Perry's "Roar", just told a little differently.
To all my American readers, Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for my family, all my friends, my job, and the fact that I'm in good enough health to enjoy it. My you have safe travels if you're traveling, and enjoy the day off everyone.
I wonder if you're wrong. I kind of feel that it's Jesus saying you killed me, but the world's going to end and then you'll see me.
ReplyDeleteHadn't really thought it through that way. Interesting POV. Thanks for reading.
DeleteThanks. Yeah, I just stumbled upon this album and some of the lines and metaphors have me really excited. (I know, I'm late to the party) I may be completely off base too, because it doesn't seem like anyone else read that far into it. Just listened to Dig - Believe... not bad. Good post. I'll have to check out some of your other posts.
ReplyDelete