Friday, April 25, 2014

MILB: The Music of Phineas and Ferb

I know I know.  Not something that everyone knows anything about, so why write it?  Because the people who write the songs for a Phineas and Ferb cartoon are geniuses.  Seriously, the music for this cartoon could sometimes be played on the radio and no one would know the difference.

Here are a few examples that will show you what I mean:

Max Modem and the Mainframes - "Alien Heart" - Phineas and Ferb's dad tries to re-make himself into a 1980s one-hit wonder.  Turns out their mom was a one-hit wonder, and has been asked to be a part of a 1980s nostalgia concert.  So the boys create Max Modem, and they perform this song:


Now tell me that couldn't have actually been a song in the 1980s?  I'd listen to that song right now!

Love Handel - "You Snuck Your Way Right Into My Heart" - Turns out that Phineas and Ferbs parents' first date was at the last Love Handle concert, and their huge hit was this solid hair ballad.  (Sounds like something from the late Eighties early nineties.)  The boys decided to reunite the band for their parents' anniversary.  This was the song that they played.  Best lyric has to be, "Like a Ninja of love, rappelling down from above..."



Tiny Cowboy - "I'm Talking About Meatloaf" - Candace, their sister, is obsessed with Tiny Cowboy.  She sees them at a meatloaf festival (with guest star Jamie Oliver) at which the band wins with their meatloaf.  The song they sing at the end is fantastic.  It's obvious the band are modeled after Oasis (especially "Definitely Maybe" or "What's the Story" Oasis) and the song is perfect.


Baljeet and Buford - "Frenemies" - This is Lovely English Lass' favorite of the songs, I think.  While entertaining people at a retirement home, the bully of the show and the brain get together to put on a great floor show.  For goodness sake, the chorus has the line, "He's like my least favorite brother!"  Oh yeah, this is all bookended by the Mongol army showing up in present times and battling potato gremlins.  Just watch the clip.




There are so many examples, but I just thought I'd put in a few here.  Whoever you are that writes these songs, I thank you.  I mean, my son and I watch the show all the time, and it just makes me smile when I hear many of these songs.  Good job!

If you don't have a kid, you should still try to watch it.  It's intelligent and quite funny all together.


No comments:

Post a Comment