Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A busy time, and a lack of sleep

How do you know when you're not getting enough sleep?

When your staff looks at you and asks you to go home because you look exhausted.  When people at work keep asking you, "Are you ok?"  When the couch in your office starts talking to you, saying things like: "A little nap won't hurt.  Come on over and sit down..."

To say I've been busy is an understatement.  With the arrival of our new Ambassador, I've been burning the candle at both ends.  Actually, I've been burning more than one candle at both ends.  I couldn't take the vacation I'd planned because I needed to be here to make sure that when he arrived, everything was taken care of.  I also wanted to be here so that I could answer any questions he had.  I wanted us to start off on a good note, so that when it came time to ask questions about Management Issues he came to me first and got the correct answer.  That doesn't always happen, and I was adamant that I get off on the right foot.  It'll make my life, and my staff's lives, easier in the long run if I put in the work now.

The good news is that it worked.  He arrived, and everything was going the right way.  After his first day with me, he shook my hand and said, "I'm going to stump you, Jay.  I haven't been able to as of yet, but I'm going to try!"  That's one of the best compliments you can get as a Management Officer.  It means you thought through all the possible pitfalls, and mitigated them.  Of course there have been some bumps, but it looks like we're on our way to getting the benefit of the doubt for at least the first month.

The main issue I've had is that with all of this going on, I haven't been able to sleep well.  I know my mind has been going 100 mph, and it's been an issue.  I had finally decided to get into a workout schedule, and then I got sick again.  (Apparently that happens a lot here in Argentina to newcomers.)  So that hasn't helped any at all.

Look, the long and the short of it is that I've been worried about this arrival, and it's caused me some issues.  I decided that my staff had things to get done, so instead of bothering them with issues I needed solved, I took it upon myself to make sure it got done.  Not great managing, I know.  I also realized I wasn't spending enough time with the family, and I needed a break.

Luckily for me, the hard work paid off, and the Ambassador seems to be happy, and our hard work was recognized.  My boss told me to take a couple of days off, and I decided he was right.  So this Thursday and Friday I'm taking the day off (with the caveat that I have a lunch I am hosting for members of the Diplomatic Community at the Hard Rock Cafe on Friday, so that's 2 hours I have to work).  Then on Saturday, Lovely English Lass and I are taking advantage of having her parents here to go and spend the night at an estancia.  Should be a good time, and I'm sure that the kids will love being with their grandparents.

Now, if I could just get some more sleep, maybe people would quit coming up to me and asking if I'm ok...

No comments:

Post a Comment