This came from the weekly newsletter here at our Consulate. I thought, since I wrote it, that I'd re-produce it for you, my readers. (Basically my family that feel pity that I write and read so I don't feel bad.)
On our recent plane flight, I found myself trying to find a movie to
watch, and was captivated by the title of this film. It looked interesting enough, and so I
decided to hit play and see what it was all about.
“Searching for Sugar Man”, now playing at select Ster-kinekor theaters,
is the story of a search for an enigma.
The movie tells the story of Rodriguez, a 1970s musician from Detroit
that recorded two albums that were well received by critics but didn’t sell
much in the US. Dropped from his label,
he disappears. Usually that’s the end of
it.
However, Rodriguez first album, “Cold Fact”, somehow ended up in South
Africa, and the album became very popular, selling an estimated 500,000 albums. One of his fans decides to find out what
happened to him, and thus one of the most fantastical stories ever told begins.
Documentaries can be a tricky thing, as you put under the microscope
real life people and expect their stories to entertain you like fictional
stories do. That’s why numerous movies
nowadays say, “Inspired by true events.”
They seem like reality, but they’re fudged to make them more
entertaining for viewers. Good
documentaries, like “When We Were Kings” or “Dogtown and Z Boys”, actually make
reality better than fiction. “Searching
for Sugar Man” is one of those documentaries.
The story of how much music meant to people, in a country very far from
where it was originally recorded, shows that humans are more alike that we are
different. As Roger Ebert said in his
review of the movie, “I hope you're able to see this film.
You deserve to. And yes, it exists because we need for it to.”
Now, onto the album, "Cold Fact." The album is quite good for when it was released. I still don't know how Donovan made it big and Rodriguez didn't. He SOUNDS a little like Donovan in his "Season of the Witch" time or a little like Harry Nilsson. Good stuff. The first song, "Sugar Man" is great in a slightly psychedlic way. Backed up by what sounds like an orchestra, he hits the song well. "This is not a song, it's an outburst" has some great imagery in it. "I woke up this morning with a lake in my head, I splashed on my clothes and I spilled out of bed." Just fantastic. "I wonder" is an interesting song, as it asks, "I wonder, how many times you've had sex? and I wonder, do you know who'll be next?" Brazen for 1970, and even a bit for today. The rest of the album is just as good, and worth a listen.
If you have a chance, buy the album. Not often you can hear something that's slipped through the cracks for so long that still sounds good today.
Hey... give me some credit. Night shift RNs from your kindergarten class read too!
ReplyDeleteTrue Kerri. I apologize for that.
Delete