Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sometimes Painful, but worth it

I was lucky to have one of the greatest teachers for being a Management officer.  My dad is a City Manager, and is generally regarded as being one of the best pretty much in the US.  (He'll deny this, of course.)  He's gone to numerous countries discussing with them how local government works, and won numerous awards.  Plus, he's been at the same job for 28 years.  That's a LONG time for a City Manager.  So, when I say I learned from the best, that's not hyperbole.

Some of the things dad taught me are still with me.  Always be open when discussing the business of your business.  Always be available.  (My parents have always had a listed number in the phone book, because Dad said the people should be able to reach him.  Which is all and good until you get a death threat, but I digress.)  I've taken that to heart, as all of my Management meetings in the Consulate are not only open to every member of staff, but also their family members as well.  (Since it affects their lives as well, they should know what we're doing too.)  Apparently this isn't done that much in the Foreign Service.  In fact, I'm apparently the only person that does this.  Well, so be it.  Like I've said before, Management Officers in the Foreign Service are masochists.

However, since Dad didn't have to move people around with all their posessions, not everthing could be taught.  Here's a secret: When people move countries, even to places like Great Britain, they get culture shock.  Usually it happens around a month to 3 months in country.  And when it hits, the first person they take it out on is the Management section at the Embassy or Consulate.  Everything is our fault.  Your kid fall off the trampoline at your house?  Management should have done something about it.  You can't get a part to fix a leaky skylight until Monday?  Not good enough!  Your HHE shipment is delayed due to labor unrest and truckers won't drive because they are being firebombed?  Yeah, that's my fault too.

So why do it?  Why take the abuse you know will come your way?  Why not chuck it and do something else?  Well, that's something else that my dad taught me.  Public service is an honor and privilege.  I serve my country and my fellow countrymen, and it's something I'm immensely proud of doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment