Friday, November 16, 2012

Bike Ride

So, the time has come for me to do my bike ride.

If you remember, I told you about my insane idea to do the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge, wherein I will ride my bicycle for 94.7 km (about 60 miles for you Americans out there) around Johannesburg.  5,800 feet above sea level at it's highest point.  And I definitely haven't been training as much as I should have.  Lovely English Lass is pretty worried about it I can tell.

But, my last training ride on Monday I did quite well, so off I go.  My number tracker is KK 24433, and I start at 914 am Johannesburg time.  (That's 714 GMT and 214 am EST.)  My goal is to finish in 4 hours, which is an average of around 24 km per hour.  That'd be great.  If I don't average that, then I might get swept up by the ride van, meaning my day is over.  Check later to see how I did at www.cyclechallenge.co.za.

Recently I purchased a new bike for the race.  While I loved my Mongoose Mountain Bike from Wal-Mart, it wasn't going to get my where I needed.  So I bought a new Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB.  Nice bike, and a great ride.  (Usually takes me 20 minutes to ride my old bike from my house to the Consulate.  With the new one, it took 10.)

Here's the route

So, pray for me kind reader.  Hopefully I do this, and then I can continue to get back into shape.  Plus, if I can do this, I can do anything, right?

3 comments:

  1. About 2 years ago I got the bright idea to ride a century. I started out training and well then stuff happened. Thank goodness I live in the sunshine state, I got with a pack of 75 year olds (I am not making light, these folks were super fit) they had a nice steady pace and stopped for bananas and PB&Js with a little stretch every 15-25 miles. I finished! What an awesome feeling! There was beer at the finish line! I raised money for Congenital Heart Defects. I have all the faith in the world that you will finish! You can do anything you put your mind to right? (I would also like to mention that my ride had a total elevation change of ~75 ft with a maximum elevation of 177 feet, on a paved Rail-Trail, on a road bike. Point is I am not as bad as it might initially sound! Good Luck, you've got this.

    ReplyDelete