Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday Party and introducing Mexican Food to South Africans

Since everyone in Johannesburg leaves town after the 14th, I decided to buy my entire section lunch today.  All 30+ of them.  The entire Management section.  Yeah, it was going to get expensive.

But they deserved it.  It's been a long and busy year here in Jozi, and my team had done one hell of a good job.  It's not easy being short-handed and still being able to do a superb job.  I'm very proud of them and wanted to show my appreciation.  So catered lunch it was.

In Johannesburg, unlike in Pretoria or pretty much anywhere in South Africa, they actually have ok Mexican restaurants.  One of them is called Mexican Fresh.  The chef is from Mexico, and the owner's father lives in LA.  So, they at least get the basic idea of what Mexican is supposed to be, and what it should do.  So I contacted them about catering for me.  Burritos, tacos, quesedillas, chimichangas, guac and salsa. Good stuff.  He was very happy because he's been trying to get people to order from him for a long time, but it just hasn't worked.  So, give em a taste, and see what happens.

Well, the entire section, that is in town, came by for lunch.  Everyone had a good time, many of them ate their weight in quesedillas, and many of them were surprised that they enjoyed Mexican food.  (Guacamole was a popular thing, which isn't strange because Avocado is huge here.)  Needless to say, I enjoyed being an emissary for Tex-Mex, and they enjoyed free food and being recognized for the work they do.  Win-Win for everyone involved.

So next year maybe I'll do it again.  It'll be my last Christmas in Jozi, and by then we should know what we'll be doing in 2014.  Still, it was nice to be sitting with my staff, enjoying ourselves before the new year begins with a vengeance.

In other news, Saturday the family goes on vacation for a week to Durban.  Just like the rest of South Africa.  (It's either Durban or Cape Town for summer break here.)  So Indian Ocean here we come!  We'll drive down Saturday morning, which takes anywhere from 6-8 hours.  Send good thoughts our way, as the kids will be in the back and they'll be a bit cranky, I'm sure.  Photos when we get back!

1 comment:

  1. The best Mexican food I have ever had was in the States! Safe travelling on Saturday and am sending LOADS of good thoughts for your road trip!

    ReplyDelete