Friday, December 28, 2012

My Inner Lester Bangs: "Woman's a Devil" by Goldfish

I know I should be talking about our trip to Durban and Christmas and everything, but frankly I can't be bothered at the moment.  It's been a draining couple of days, and I think I'd rather talk about something else right now.  Later I'll discuss the trip, Christmas and everything else.

However, today I want to talk about another South African group, Goldfish.  Their new song, "Woman's a  Devil" has been playing constantly all over the country, and it is very catchy.

Goldfish are an electronic band (like Basement Jaxx whom they opened for previously) from Cape Town made up of Dominic Peters and David Poole.  They've been around since 2006 and have release 8 albums in that time.  (Of course some of those albums were re-mixes, but when you do electronic music that can be an entire new album anyway.)

This song starts off with a little bit of 1930s sound influence to it, but also a little bit of Jamiroquai.  Song starts with a breathless female voice talking about how she's just being nice to this person, but that they really don't have a thing going on.  ("No secret wink/no just a drink/it's coffee all the way.")  The chorus is the man's response.  "Woman's a devil/That devil stole my heart./and now she's gone forever/we'll always be apart.")  The music continues on with this for the entire song.  Very cool, and great music to listen to on a hot day in Johannesburg.  I wouldn't be surprised if this song crossed over to the states, as it has that pop flavor to it that begs for mass radio saturation.

Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment