So the blog was quiet for the last week, but somehow I got more readers. Not sure how that works, but thanks!
Anyways, we returned to Washington, DC last week for work reasons. Well, not really work reasons. My children are on Special Needs Educational Allowance, and they have to be re-assesed every year to continue to receive it. So we went back to the people that first diagnosed Lovely Little Girl, and to the sibling study for Crazy Little Man along with a visit to our favorite developmental pediatrician.
While I was there I also had to go and meet people to get my name out for the upcoming bidding season. This is important in the Foreign Service, as you want people to remember you when the time comes for bidding. If you can get people to remember you, and they see your name with a job, they might start associating you with that job. (At least that's the theory.)
But first we had to get to Washington. To get to Washington from South Africa, there are numerous trips you can take. First is on the SAA flight that goes through Dakar, Senegal, stops for a bit (you can't get off the plane) and then continues on to Washington. Second is the Delta flight direct to Atlanta, where you have a layover and then move on to Washington. We chose the second option. Boy is 16 hours a long time to spend on a plane. Especially when at 2 am your lovely daughter's ADHD medication wears off. That's when you start to think parachuting out of the plane might be a good idea.
(Small word on Delta here. We told them 4 times that my daughter was allergic to peanuts. Twice on-line and twice as we checked in. What did they serve as a snack? Yep. Peanuts. On the second flight I told the lady checking in, and she noted it in the system. Again on the flight they start to hand out peanuts. When I told the flight attendant that my daughter was allergic, she got a bit indignant and said "Well you should have told us, as we'd create a peanut free zone around you!" I looked at her and said, "I told the lady at check-in, and when we booked the tickets. Every time they told me they would note it!" Of course the snack for the kids was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. So pro-traveling tip for you parents with peanut allergies: Make sure you tell the Delta people at the gate that you have the allergies, and again the flight attendants when you board the plane.)
Anyways, the flight wasn't that bad, and we arrived in Washington to meet my parents as we got our bags. My son and daughter were very happy to see them, and my son absolutely LOVES his Grandpa. To the point that I hardly saw him when my dad was around. Which is fine with me, because I had the same relationship with HIS father too. It's also very good that my mom and my daughter get along too. (My daughter, who is generally scared of men, even allowed my father to hug her and play "Walk Like the Elephant" which is awesome.)
We had a day to do nothing, so we got into the car and drove out to Leesburg Corner for a little retail therapy. Bought the kids some lovely stuff for the upcoming winter, bought Lovely English Lass some stuff, and I got a new pair of Merrell Boots and some sweat pants from Puma. It was a win/win situation.
The next day we separated into boy and girl cars for doctors' appointments. CLM, my father and I drove to Baltimore for his appointment at Kennedy-Krieger, and LEL, my mother and LLG drove to Upper Marlboro for theirs. Our appointment went fast, and we drove back to DC just in time to stop for lunch. After lunch we drove to the Apple Store and bought me my birthday gift from my wife. (iPad mini.) After buying a container for it (I tend to break iPods), we went back to the hotel. I got ready for my Wednesday meetings. It was a lovely 50 degrees fahrenheit outside, and it looked like it'd be very nice.
Wednesday I awoke to snow and the entire US Government being shut down. To be honest, it wasn't that much snow, but they shut it down anyway. So I was left with a free day, and needed to re-schedule my appointments. Luckily I knew most of the people I was meeting with, so that was easy to do. We spent the day with the kids going to Target and having a late lunch. It was nice to spend time with the kids and with my parents.
The next day, while my parents went with LEL to another set of doctors appointments, I went to Main State. When they show you the Department of State on the television, that's Main State. I walked around to see people I knew, and some I didn't. I went to talk about jobs, which no one is sure what's available as of yet, and also to see my friends. The good part about being in the Foreign Service so long is that I know now people who can actually get things done. Nice, really.
Friday was a rest day before the long trip home. Our friends Frank and Z threw a party and a bunch of our friends came. It was great to see everyone, as if nothing had changed. (Except for the part where we all have more kids now.) They even gave cupcakes for my birthday that was Sunday. Great time, and I really enjoyed it. (LLG fell asleep on the couch and CLM ran around like he was, well, crazy.)
Saturday was the start to our long trip home. Flight to Atlanta, 4 hour lay-over, and then the long 15 hours home. Didn't get much sleep because surprisingly there was a woman sitting next to me larger than I was, and she kept moving into my seat! The kids slept alot on the flight, and we arrived back in Johannesburg at 430 pm. The kids didn't get to sleep until 1 am.
On the trip I had a realization I'm getting old. (Besides the 10th being my 37th birthday, I mean.) While shopping for a birthday gift for my dad, we looked at sunglasses. The lady selling them asked if I ever bought Oakleys. I told her that no, because when I tried the blades I looked like a broke down Kool Mo Dee. She looked at me and said, "Who?" Wow! LEL pointed and chanted, "Old Man, Old Man."
Oh well. We won't be taking that flight again for a long time, so that's good. Hopefully we'll be ready for the next one.
No comments:
Post a Comment