Sadly I wasn't introduced to "Hard to Handle" through Otis Redding. I originally listened to the version by the Black Crowes. Dont' get me wrong, it's a great song, and i actually like the Black Crowes. ("Remedy" is one of my all-time favorite songs.) It's just I wish I had heard Otis first.
Otis Redding was the singer in front of one of the greatest Rhythm and Blues bands ever: The house band at Stax Records, who basically were Booker T and the MGs. Steve Cropper, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Booker T. Jones, Al Jackson, Jr.and a horn section. Their sound made Stax Records. Stax was famous for "The Memphis Sound" just like Mo-town was the sound of Detroit.
Now, onto "Hard to Handle." This song just moves. The start with a piano and bass playing the first 5 notes, followed by the horns filing in a measure later. The subtle but essential guitar by Steve Cropper just adds to the music. It's gives it a roundness that fills the space. It never feels busy, although many of the musicians are playing different parts at the same time. It's tight, and makes you realize that they must have practiced this NUMEROUS times. Throw in Redding, and this turns from a song into 2 minutes 18 seconds of pure happiness.
The song is just fantastic. Just a bit rude, but in a cheeky way. Redding is trying to seduce a woman but do it in a way with a smile and self-deprecating boasts. Great lines like, "Boys will come a dime by the dozen/ but that ain't nothin but ten cent lovin." Just fantastic.
The sad part is that we don't have much music from Otis. Steve Cropper talks in an interview I read about how it makes him angry sometimes that he didn't get to make more music with Otis. He thought they had much more music to make and give to the world, and it makes him angry and sad that he never got the chance. Otis was one hell of a performer. (Listen to the live version of "Satisfaction" he did or find a video. That man put on a hell of a show.) He was a bit of a shouter on many of the upbeat records, which I think we can forgive him for because the shouting was awesome. He also had a great voice though, shown through "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay." (I used to listen to this song after being dumped. In other words, I listened to it a lot.) Otis was amazing, and this song should get more airplay than it does. Go find yourself some Otis Redding and listen to the man perform, but also take time to listen to the music. The house band at Stax was probably one of the best ever assembled. Booker T was great on the organ and piano, Dunn was a very much underrated bassist, and Steve Cropper is an amazing guitarist. (He even gets a shout out in the song "Soul Man" by Sam & Dave. "Play it, Steve!") Try to find anything from Stax records in the 1960s. Not only did they have this group, but Isaac Hayes was writing music for them, and they had Wilson Pickett, The Bar-Kays, Sam & Dave and numerous others. You'll like it, I promise. But maybe not as much as "Hard to Handle."
No comments:
Post a Comment