Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sometimes the timeframe gives you a chance to be Diplomatic

and Sometimes it doesn't.  That's what I wrote yesterday, and I meant it.  As a Management Officer for the Department of State, you play a quite tricky role.  You are both Colleague, and Service Provider.  Some people can separate the two, and some people can't.  It's a tightrope, that's for sure.

Sometimes I'm given a situation where I have time to massage egos, work with people on alternatives, and try my best to ensure that if people aren't happy, at least they aren't at my office door with pitchforks and burning torches.

(Quick side tangent: Why have we done away with pitchforks and torches?  Such a cool image, and much better than showing up with a MAC-10.)

Anyways, that's what I'd like to say happens the most in the Department of State.  However, sometimes I'm given tasks that have to happen immediately, and involves moving or upsetting people.  I don't have time to massage egos, kiss babies or do the things that would make it easier on everyone.  Sometimes, I have to have what I like to call, "Danny Glover Days."

As you may recall from "Lethal Weapon", Danny Glover always says that he's "Too old for this sh*t."  Basically he says this before doing something that's crazy.

Well, that's what happens with me.  Say I've got to add an office to an area within 2 weeks, but the current occupants are angry that I'm taking their space and claim that they don't know anything about it, even though we've had numerous discussions on the topic.  Well, then it's time for Danny Glover to come out.  I need to get things done, and sometimes you just have to tell people, "Well, this is what I was tasked with doing by higher-ups.  Now you can argue with me, but tomorrow all those desks will be cleared and we'll start construction anyways."

My boss always says: "As a Management Officer, if more than 20% of the office is mad at you, you're probably too strict.  If less than 15% is mad at you, you're too lenient."  He's right.  It's a thin line between being too harsh and too soft.  It's almost enough to make you pull out your hair (if you aren't losing it by now.)

Still, I enjoy my job.  And rarely does Danny Glover have to come out.

(BTW, I've reached almost 3000 views in less than a year.  Thank you to everyone who is reading.  Never knew I had so many fans in Russia, but they are #2 on my views list.)

No comments:

Post a Comment