Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Training to be like Carson on Downton Abbey.

So we've got a CODEL here this week.  (CODEL is short for Congressional Delegation.)  As CODELS go, this one is actually quite nice.  The Congressmen and Senators are very cool, and they are really here to do some good work.  The head of the delegation is a task master who keeps everyone in control and together, and we appreciate that very much.

However, as a Management Officer, I'm the one that needs to make sure they are taken care of and that if they want something it's done immediately.  This can be difficult, but more so when you're in a Consulate located very close to the Embassy.  There's always a clash over who does what and when.  Still, my job is make sure that the CODEL doesn't see the strings and wires of the place.

When I posted yesterday on Facebook that this job sometimes trains me to be Carson on "Downton Abbey" I wasn't joking.  Yesterday I arrived at the airport, arranged the vehicles, ensured there was water on each vehicle for everyone (it is 5,000 ft above sea-level here, so water is a necessity), and unloaded luggage for the plane.  When one of the Senators needed his bag immediately, along with one of his staffers, to go meet the Premier of Gauteng, I scrambled through the luggage, got it scanned, and brought it in myself.  (Just like Carson would have done on the show.)  I then drove straight to the hotel they are staying in so I could greet the party as they walked through the doors, helped place their luggage in their rooms, and made sure everyone could cash a check if they needed money.  I even had my staff make dining reservations for the entire group, at two different places, just so they could have a choice.

So Concierge, Major Domo, Management Officer.  Sounds about right.  I will now have to do it all in reverse tonight as they leave late.  What this means is for the second night in a row I don't get to put my kids to bed.  My son will have to wait another night to look through the telescope I bought him.  (He's already told me we have to look at the stars before we can go to them.  Pretty sharp that kid.)

What you have to understand though, is that this isn't a once-off.  This is part of my job.  We have visitors all the time, and we do this because it is expected of us to do so.  To be honest, I'm not that upset about having people come.  They can see what we do, and the good work we do in the countries we're assigned.  They can see that there is worth to having us out here, and maybe they'll remember that in the future.

At least I don't have to iron the newspapers before they read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment